Tuesday 14 June 2011

The candyman can cause he mixes it with love and makes the world taste good

He sure does make the world taste good. 


Unfortunately, there is a whole swag of nasties lurking in that Scrumdiddlyumptious bar. Nope, not the cocoa. Nah, not the fat. Must be the milk...? No, I don't think so. Given up yet? Its the sugar, or more specifically - the fructose. And I say a whole swag, as there is 48gm of sugar in the one bar! Don't believe me, see it for yourself. That, is roughly 24gm of fructose. To give you perspective - thats about 27 strawberries (3.5 cups or so) worth of fructose. Can you eat 27 strawberries in the same time you can eat a Scrumdiddlyumptious bar? I don't think so. If you can though, please youtube that and let me know - will entertaining at the very least. 

As you can probably tell I am a recently converted fructose avoider. Been on the bandwagon for 6 days now, so a complete newby. I decided to do this as more of an experiment than anything, if it goes well - then great! I am currently studying to be a naturopath (funnily enough I should be studying right now, oh my love for procrastination), and I have a very keen interest in the nutritional side of things. I Personally, I lost 20kgs about 2 years ago by counting calories, and I have kept it all off. The last 10kgs however, wont bloody budge! I exercise, I count calories, I eat clean....but alas, no more weight loss. I have learnt a lot from my studies and from my own weight-loss, but I was just so completely at a loss for why this weight would not shift. Perhaps its the fructose? I am not one for a 'quick fix' weight loss solution, I am after health and sustainable weight loss and then, maintenance. 

I can not recommend highly enough the book called 'sweet poison' by Brisbane lad David Gillespie. You can find his ridiculously informative blog here at raisinhell. Also go and pick up a copy of his books, Sweet Poison and The Sweet Poison Quit Plan. Fantastic and addictive reads - perhaps they're sugar-coated?! Also terribly interesting and informative is this lecture by Robert H. Lustig, MD titled Sugar: The Bitter Truth

So, why am I blogging? Because I wanted somewhere to write my journey down, well type it down. I will try and keep this up to date with how much fructose I eat, any weight-loss or other side effects and some recipes when I can. 

I'll leave you with this word of advise - from me to you....
Don't accept candy from strangers anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment